“I’m Ready to Fight”: Aryna Sabalenka Eyes French Open 2026 Title After Injury Recovery on Clay
“I’m Ready to Fight”: Aryna Sabalenka Eyes French Open 2026 Title After Injury Recovery on Clay; PC: Getty

“I’m Ready to Fight”: Aryna Sabalenka Eyes French Open 2026 Title After Injury Recovery on Clay

As the French Open 2026 approaches, world number one Aryna Sabalenka is determined to put behind a difficult clay court season and make another strong bid for her maiden Roland Garros title. The Belarusian star arrives in Paris carrying both confidence and caution after overcoming fitness concerns that disrupted her preparations during the European clay swing.

“I’m Ready to Fight”: Aryna Sabalenka Eyes French Open 2026 Title After Injury Recovery on Clay
“I’m Ready to Fight”: Aryna Sabalenka Eyes French Open 2026 Title After Injury Recovery on Clay; PC: Getty

Sabalenka, the top seed at this year’s tournament, had endured an uncharacteristically inconsistent run on clay leading up to the French Open. Widely regarded as one of the most dominant players on the WTA Tour over the last two seasons, the 28 year old managed only four victories in six clay court matches this year. The numbers marked a significant drop from her remarkable 26-1 win-loss record earlier in the season across hard court tournaments.

Her struggles became particularly visible at the Italian Open in Rome, where she suffered a surprising third round exit. During the tournament, Sabalenka was seen dealing with physical discomfort and later admitted to battling lower back and hip issues. Questions quickly emerged about whether the injuries could affect her chances at Roland Garros, especially on the physically demanding clay courts of Paris.

However, Sabalenka has now dismissed those concerns and insists she is fully fit ahead of the second Grand Slam of the season. Speaking to reporters before the start of the tournament, the Belarusian revealed that a short recovery break after Rome helped her regain strength and confidence.

“I struggled in the beginning ‌of ⁠the claycourt (swing) physically, but right now I feel 100%,” Sabalenka ⁠told reporters on Friday. “We did a great recovery. We focused on recovery and made sure that I’m healed everywhere and I’m ready to go. Right now, physically I’m ready to go.”

See also  End of Sahaja Yamalapalli and Shrivalli Bhamidipaty's Journey from WTA Chennai Open 2025

Despite her limited number of matches on clay this season, Sabalenka remains confident in her ability to adapt quickly to the surface. The three time Grand Slam champion believes her previous experiences on clay matter more than recent match practice. “I think all of us are here just for one reason, doesn’t matter if I didn’t ‌play a lot of matches on the claycourt,” Sabalenka added. “I know how to play on clay and it’s all about being physically and mentally healthy, to go for it, and ⁠to be ready to fight.”

The Belarusian’s confidence stems not only from her powerful game but also from the emotional maturity she has developed over the years. Earlier in her career, Sabalenka often struggled to manage frustration during matches, with emotional outbursts frequently affecting her performance. Over time, however, she has worked extensively on controlling those reactions and maintaining composure during difficult moments.

According to Sabalenka, learning to manage her emotions has played a major role in her rise to the top of women’s tennis. “My emotions were destroying my game and my level was dropping dramatically when I would just start over-reacting on everything,” she said. “And also, at the same time, my opponents would see that and they would step in and play better.

“First of all, making sure that my opponent doesn’t see what’s going on in my ‌head, and at the same time, to perform better and to stay in the zone – it was a huge improvement over the years in my career and really helped me to level up.”

See also  World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka Loses to Nick Kyrgios in Battle of the Sexes Exhibition in Dubai

Sabalenka enters the French Open with unfinished business after coming agonisingly close to lifting the title last year. In the 2025 final, she won the opening set against American star Coco Gauff before losing momentum and eventually falling short in three sets. The defeat was one of the few disappointments in an otherwise impressive season for the Belarusian, who has consistently remained among the world’s top ranked players.

This year, Sabalenka will once again begin the tournament as one of the favourites, even though several rivals have enjoyed stronger clay court campaigns. Players such as Iga Swiatek, Coco Gauff and Elena Rybakina are also expected to challenge for the title, making the women’s draw highly competitive.

Still, Sabalenka appears focused on her own preparation rather than outside expectations. With her fitness restored and mental approach strengthened, the world number one believes she is ready to compete at the highest level once again on the Paris clay.

The Belarusian made her ambitions clear with a determined message ahead of the tournament. “All I can say that I’m ready to fight. Of course, I hope to do a little bit better than I did last year.”

As Roland Garros begins, Sabalenka now has another opportunity to turn last year’s heartbreak into triumph and finally capture the only Grand Slam title missing from her growing collection.

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *